Oncology is the field of medicine dedicated to studying, diagnosing, and treating cancer. An oncologist Newport Beach-located is a medical professional that dedicates their time and energy toward helping patients that are living with cancer. They focus on finding the best treatments and recommendations to help address the symptoms and effects of the condition.
There are several different types of oncologists that focus on different treatments. These include the following:
- Surgical oncologists – These specialists provide biopsies for diagnosis. They also provide operations to remove tumors and cancerous tissues, when possible.
- Radiation oncologists – This specialty is dedicated to destroying cancer cells through the use of radiation therapy.
- Medical oncologists – Medical oncologists provide a medicinal approach that typically uses immunotherapy, chemotherapy, or similar treatments.
There are also oncologists that treat specific types of cancer, such as:
- Gynecologic oncologists, who treat issues in the reproductive organs
- Pediatric oncologists focus on cancer in children and teenagers
- Geriatric oncologists, who treat people aged 65 and up
- Thoracic oncologists, who focus on cancers in the chest
- Neuro-oncologists that treat brain, spinal, and nervous system issues
Oncology is an incredible field that is constantly working to treat the disease and improve the quality of life of people facing this life-changing condition.